Some more gratitude updates:
- October 17, 2011: I am grateful for tailgating. While I (kinda) could care less about the actual football game, I like hanging out in parking lots, grilling, eating all the food, and wearing autumn-appropriate clothing.
- October 18, 2011: I am grateful for freshly done eyebrows. They make me look less disheveled, more put-together, and honestly make me feel better. Too bad I’m too lazy to keep ‘em up.
- October 19, 2011: I am grateful my traffic ticket was reduced to a fine-only infraction. Phew. No points on this license. Hopefully lesson learned!
- October 20, 2011: I am grateful I didn’t have to schlep into the city today for a meeting and client dinner. While it’s always nice to go to out to a fancy meal, being home before midnight is much nicer.
Daily Gratitude Updates:
- October 12, 2011: I am grateful for free lunches. I took a quick survey at work and got a voucher which I promptly used for a delicious chicken salad (with honey lime dressing, pico de gallo, roasted corn, and avocado), as well as a bag of almonds for snacks later.
- October 13, 2011: I am grateful for Sugar Babe by Lush. It’s pretty much a lump of sugar that you rub all over your body in the shower - leaving you silky soft. It’s by far, my favorite bath product right now.
- October 14, 2011: I am grateful for giant necklaces. They dress up any outfit, no?
- October 15, 2011: I am grateful for free yoga classes from Yoga Month. I finally tried out a new studio this weekend, and while I wasn’t able to make it to any other classes, getting a 90 minute yoga class for free is pretty awesome.
Three things that make me growl today:
- I lost my sunglasses again. Grrr. I was convinced I left them at the nail salon, but the woman claims there were no sunglasses left behind (although I’m certain she didn’t understand what I was asking).
- Everyone at work wants me to do things - but there’s no direction or time given to me. I get it - we’re all busy. Grr.
- I’ve been hungry like crazy recently. I’m sure it’s a reaction to stress, but I’m honestly not certain how not to eat all the things.
And to offset all this negativity, three things that make me smile today:
- I get to run in my new shoes tonight. I bought a pair of Nike Lunarglides, since I’m looking for a bit more cushioning than my Mizunos (Creation and Prophecys) are giving me. Who knows if I’ll like ‘em, but at least my feet will look cute during tonight’s treadmill run.
- I’m going to a yoga retreat this weekend to focus on breathing, positive life energy, meditation, and vinyasa-flow.
- My I’m getting tons of compliments on my shoes today - although they’re not a recent purchase. They’re an impulse buy from 2006, purple velvet peep toes, with bows.
C’mon good. Outweigh the bad!
Ten Things Tuesday:
- I’ve finally stopped being polite - and started getting real about the products/services I buy. Pardon the Real World reference, but I’ve saved quite a bit of money recently by voicing my opinion (in a polite manner - not complaining for the sake of it). A few weeks ago, I noticed new subscribers for DirecTV could sign up for my package, and pay $60 less per month and get the NFL Sunday Ticket for free. I called, spoke to a few people, and in the essence of not losing my service, they gave us the NFL Sunday Ticket and $17 off our bill for the next twelve months. On a high from that, I called Verizon (who we have for our internet service) and was able to save $24/mo for the next twelve months and then $14/mo thereafter. Today, after my massage, I filled out a comment card, with extremely positive statements about my masseuse, but said that although I’m pretty adept at tuning out background noises, the construction, hammering, and footsteps above my room was a bit distracting. They ended up comping my massage! They said that there was a mix up in scheduling and the work wasn’t supposed to be going on while I was there. (So I tipped extra generously.) Lesson(s) learned - speak up when you have valid comments. They’re willing to listen!
- Speaking of massages, I had a Thai massage today and it was amazing! It’s more of an assisted stretching session than a massage. You are fully clothed, and the masseuse applies stretching techniques to increase circulation, digestion, energy, and to release tension. I thought it’d be extremely awkward, but except for a few poses, it felt completely normal. It was such an interesting feeling - I left with my muscles feeling awake and refreshed, but I was also relaxed. I’d totally recommend Thai massage to anyone!
- I have a habit of misplacing things. Last week, it was the coupons the husband made for my birthday. Sunday, it was my Garmin heart rate monitor. Yesterday, it was my sunglasses. I need to start putting things away where they belong! The eternal pessamist in me is convinced these things are always lost forever instead of misplaced. (Although, I found my coupons and HRM today while looking for my sunglasses…)
- Just a public service announcement: My Garmin (Forerunner 305) was frozen on Saturday and I panicked. I was convinced it was dead - since it wouldn’t charge and wouldn’t respond. (I panicked enough that the husband was ready to go buy me a new one). If this happens to yours, hold the lap reset button and the mode button down at the same time. And then turn it on. It should work!
- On Sunday’s long run, I stopped twice. Once to use a bathroom (thank goodness for park bathrooms and not port-a-potties) and once a few miles from home to buy ice cream for dessert. Both were completely necessary.
- One of my least favorite feelings in life is being rushed. I need to plan, pack, and be prepared. I hate the feeling of being rushed (by other people, by the clock, or by myself) - and always manage to forget important things when being rushed.
- My husband wants to think of himself as the fashion police, presumably. Today, I was wearing a ‘fashion scarf’ (not to be confused with a scarf for warmth. His words, not mine) and he decided to start referring to it as my ‘ascot.’ Yesterday, I was wearing my sequined sweatshirt from Banana Republic as we ran errands, and he said that he felt underdressed, and wanted to make certain he was aware the next time we’re headed to the disco.
- Today, I went for a five mile run and it felt great. The combination of today’s massage, the cool fall weather, and my new shoes kept my pace faster than it should have been, but I felt too good to slow down!
- We already bought our Halloween candy for this year’s trick or treaters. (We were at Walmart and the candy seemed cheap, and I hate being in/shopping in Walmart with a passion, so I figured we should stock up while we were there, since I’m certain we won’t go back before Halloween). I made the hubs buy candy I knew I wouldn’t eat in the next two weeks - so our house is now full of gummy Sponge Bob Krabby Patties (which look like lil’ hamburgers) and I can honestly say, I am not tempted in the least!
- I’ve been in a banjo kinda of mood recently. (You totally don’t wanna know the types of songs in my Recently Added iTunes folder).
Daily gratitude updates:
October 7, 2011: I am grateful the husband and I decided on (and bought!) a new couch for our den slash man room. It needed to be comfy (I love to nap while watching TV down there), easy to clean (the dogs spend most of their days in that room), and not too old-man ish. We ended up with this one. Let’s hope it looks as nice in person as it did in the showroom.
October 8, 2011: I am grateful for days the husband and I spend lots of time together. We went for a long run together (well, we didn’t run at the same pace - but we ran the same route at the same time) and then came home and got dolled up for date night. I wore heels! And curled my hair! He wore shoes! (Not flops or crocs). I love quality time with the hubs.
October 9, 2011: I am grateful for fall’s dark nail polish colors. This week I’m wearing OPI’s We’ll Always Have Paris on my fingernails and toes.
October 10, 2011: I’m grateful I moved desks at the office. While I’m definitely in a more high-traffic area now, I’m grateful for the fresh-start this brings. I’ve thrown away old files, cleaned and reorganized my desk, and brought in new decorations. However, the next job I take will come with an office. That’s non-negotiable.
October 11, 2011: I am grateful I woke up before my alarm, and packed lunches, fed the dogs, and waited for the sunrise so I could go for a pre-work run. I don’t know why, but I woke up with tons of energy. I wish this happened more often!