Happy one month birthday to the sassiest little woman around!
At one month, you love:
- Your swing
- Being swaddled
- When daddy brushes your hair
- Bath time
- Sleeping in your boba wrap
- The dogs’ sudden movements
- Getting dressed
- Sunlight in your eyes
- Loud noises
- Sleeping during the nighttime hours
Every day with you is a blessing (and a challenge!) - and we’re trying to settle info a routine (as if that’s even possible with a newborn, right?), but I’m so glad to be your momma. You make me laugh and have shown me love deeper than I ever thought possible. Happy one month, Ellie!
This little one made her entrance like a diva - and has stolen my heart already. Welcome to the world, Ellie Lynn!
As of this moment, my maternity leave has officially started. YES.
I’m hoping baby doesn’t arrive for a few more days (I still have two weeks until my due date) - since there are some “important” things I’d like to do (like go to the shore, throw an awesome dinner party for my mom’s 60th birthday, make a major Trader Joe’s run, pack my hospital bag, and go out for a fancy dinner with the husband).
But, I’m getting ready.
My mom’s 60th birthday is on Monday, but we’re getting together to celebrate as a family on Sunday.
Glad to see she may have aged, but still hasn’t matured, since she’s already planning on being hungover. Hah.
This is why I can’t be all “Let It Go” and allow the husband to fill in and tackle certain things.
Our neighbor had a baby this weekend and I asked Jeff to stop and pick up a card on his way to work so we could throw a gift certificate to a local pizza place in it - with three kids under 10, I figured it’d be appreciated (and offer her/her husband a much needed break from cooking!).
I think my exact words were “Could you pick up some sort of congrats on your baby card”?
This is what he came back with.
It’s been awhile since I’ve posted. Blame sheer laziness, lack of exciting things going on in my life (every day is just a combination of work, grow a baby, nap, repeat), and needing to do adult things (our house has been under construction for the last month - between having rooms painted, hardwood floors refinished and our walkway torn out/replaced with new masonry). But whatever - I’m good! Life is good!
Here are some baby/life updates:
- My baby shower was held last weekend and it was great. (Although, please do not make a first time mom shout out the gifts she received to keep the guests entertained as they’re checking off their bingo cards, since she’ll have no idea what the proper name of the item is. “Oh, thanks for the thing that goes over your shoulder so baby doesn’t spit on your - ah, yes, burp cloth! thanks!”)
- Baby and I were totally spoiled and I swear, she’ll need at least three outfit changes a day to use all the clothes she received. I now need to figure out what I didn’t get that I actually need and go buy that stuff. And - despite her expression, my mom is actually pumped to meet this lil’ lady.
- My in-laws went rogue and bought me a running stroller (without checking my registry). Ugh - I mean isn’t that what registries are for? Regardless, they somehow ended up getting me the one I would have chosen for myself (the BOB Revolution SE), so I guess once baby makes her arrival I need to start walking/jogging/running again. I actually do miss it (especially with the gorgeous weather we’ve been having recently).
- But - I don’t miss it enough to get out there and try to jog. For months (probably up until week 28), I was nauseous every day and couldn’t even fathom having my body jiggle when running (smells would make me gag, I couldn’t wear pants or skirts since the slightest pressure on my abdomen would have me feeling awful, and i was so exhausted). I’m now feeling good - but eh, I’ve gone this long without jogging, I doubt I’ll pick it up again before baby’s arrival. My twice weekly prenatal yoga sessions (which are pretty much just laying on props for an hour) will need to suffice as my form of exercise.
- I had a 34 week ultrasound yesterday and baby already weighs 5.3lbs. They’re thinking she’ll be at least 8.8 lbs at birth which scares the bejeezus out of me.
- I’m finalizing my maternity leave (which has me off for most of the summer/early fall) and we’ve narrowed down our daycare choices. Baby will be going part time (thank goodness for my mom and in-laws who will each tackle one day per week) but even 3 day per week care is astronomically expensive. And of course, my loving husband just raves about the most costly one. I’m trying to be a bit more impartial - ‘cause at 16 weeks does baby really need baby yoga, sign language or Spanish immersion?
- The nursery is coming along - we don’t have a theme per se, I’ve just filled it with overwhelmingly cute stuff. Pics to come, promise.
- I’m celebrating two years at work this week, and I can honestly say that changing jobs was for the best. My commute isn’t that fun (it typically takes 45 minutes to an hour each way), but the job is pretty stress free (especially in comparison to other jobs I’ve had) and the company stability has done wonders for my work/life balance.
tl:dr: Things are good. I’m growing a giant (healthy!) baby who I’m super pumped to meet in six weeks. I’m feeling pretty calm (surprisingly!) and almost like an adult. Almost.